Saturday, June 2, 2012

As Luck Would Have It

Spain. Recommended
I found this to be a strange movie. I have to say, Spanish movies, especially comedies, often have this effect on me because they do not seem to follow the rules. They are too funny for a drama and too serious for a comedy. On some level, messing with preconceptions has to be a good thing, and in this case the movie is very well made and very well acted.

This is billed as a satirical black comedy . Black humor, saith Wikipedia, is sub-genre of comedy and satire in which laughter arises from cynicism and skepticism. This movie does not follow that rule. The comedy in it is not subversive or especially satirical in, say, the Daily Show manner of satire. The funny parts are conventionally funny, there is one running gag that straight up slapstick. The funny parts are, indeed, funny and there are many laughs to be had. The dramatic parts are not in the service of any comedic end, they are Drama. The great Selma Hayak has a straight up dramatic role, I do not think she has any funny lines at all, and her character is really the heart of the movie. I freely admit that I cry at movies, pretty much on cue. I cried at this one more than any film so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment