Sunday, June 3, 2012

Italy, Love it or Leave it

Italy. Fabulous.
I love this movie. I love it like I loved David Sedaris until I got tired of him; like I would love Michael Moore if he were not such a blowhard; like I love John Stewart without reservation. Also like a lot of people who aren’t me loved “the Trip” last year at SIFF.  Two slim and deeply sweet guys drive around Italy looking for a reason not to move to Berlin. It’s a documentary. They interview people. They show stuff. They recite facts. All in the most endearing way, and in Italian, which is a beautiful language to listen to. They have these great, maybe just a little scripted, conversations. In Italian. They mug for the camera, but in a good way. They inform, they entertain, they give insight. Everything one wants from a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment